nedelja, 12. avgust 2012

Stereotypes and the city :)

Taipei and Hualien, 11.8. 2012

Europeans are tall and blond and Asians make smacking noises when they eat as a sign that the food is good, they eat  at every given time and place and are really short. All true :)
It's also true that scooters are everywhere...
But getting back to that later...


My first real day in Taipei, I wanted to get a look at the city, but of course got last in the underground network and tried the old trick - staring at a map on the wall. And voila, after a few moments I was offered help once again, being told that the Peace park was a walking distance away and I didn't need to buy a ticket for the underground :)
So as my favourite saying goes (Rest is a must :) / Treba počivat), I did just that in the park while looking at the kids feed squirel like creatures and walking among the many monuments and gazebos in chinese style.
The presidental palace just next to the park is also a must.


On my way back I picked to walk through the bookshop street, but my luggage was already killing my back as it was. I shall return :)
In the evening I took a slow train to Hualien, where my contact persone was expecting me. Looking for the gate of depature, I was once again offered help from the locals, obviously my big bag makes quite an impact.
On the train I was wondering what adventura awaits at the final destination, since I had a feeling the day was not over. I was right. My contact person, also a medical student in his 2nd year of studies, seemed nervous. Soon I saw whay. Following the stereotype, he came to pick me up with a scooter :D
I almost started laughing but was able to hide it. So there we were, on a scooter with 20 kg of baggage and me in a skirt. I guess you get that the staring was a must :)

At the dormitory the surprises kept coming. The dorms are separated by gender and guys that enter the female dorm for purposes like fixing something (visits are not premited) have to wear a jacket saying that if there is a problem, the women are supposed to call this number and run or something. Hahahaha, this is Steven wearing the thing :)


The next surprise was the lack of mattress :) Yes I now sleep on a wooden bed with bamboo and a blanket under me :) It's good for my back I said to my self while laughing on the inside. Suts me right for picking the buddhist hospital and university :) Being fair, it' not at all bad.
 I'm still waiting for the cockroaches to show themselves, since I was told they sometimes visit, but I hope they'll stay in hidding for the duration of my stay here :)


Now I just had to wait for the arrival of my roommate the next day and see what faith had in store for me... :)


Ni komentarjev:

Objavite komentar