sobota, 18. avgust 2012

Natural catastrophies, pets and superstition...

Hualien, 15.8. 2012

Up to now, I have only experienced one earthquake in my life. It was this year, when it woke me up in the middle of the night. At first I was really mad, cause I thought it was my boyfriend playing a prank on me and moving the bed in the middle of the night... :)

Here, I've felt 2 earthquakes in the first 3 days, there were more at night though. So I better get used to it. And the instructions you learn in school about hidding under the bed and things like that. Puf, in panic gone just like that. As that wasn't enough for my poor heart, a rummor started spreading in the hospital that a typhoon is coming at the end of the week. So I started investigating and asking the locals how to prepare and what it was like. The 1st grade students said that a typhoon is usually a good thing because it means no class... Not helping at all...


Then I was told to get prepared, buy food for a couple of days and that there is usually no electricity at that time. You get locked in the dorm, since it's raining like crazy and the wind is very strong and dangerous.
After consulting with my roommate, we descided that the best idea is to hide out at the hospital, since they probably have a generator, a food store and cafeteria inside. Thankfully, the typhoon descided to got otherwhere...



But nature here offers more :) Like the lovely pet we got when we moved in the doorm. Yes, you guessed it... it's the cockroach family. At first they were hidding from me, only showing themselves to Eva. When I went into the kitcen to get water from the filtering machine,because you can't drink it out of the tap, there they were. 2 big ones and a bunch of little baby cockroaches. Fast too. An hour later, when I went to wash my clothes, there they were again, this time in the hall. And they say we're happy to be in the 4th floor since there are less of them here than on any other floor (the floor of Death).
I have declared war so they better not try to enter my room in the next month, because I'm fully prepared :)



I'm told the first floor has another animal to offer. It's the lovely and elegant cobra. They fear people but get lost sometimes and end up in the first floor. Wasn't at all happy to hear that...

I feel very special to be living on the 4th floor. Most of the buildings here leave the 4th floor out, like my hospital, as you can see on the picture below. Also the patient files are never marked with a number 4.
The numer 4 in chinese is pronounced very simular to the word death, so they avoid using it in public buildings out of superstition. But not our dorm, so I not only live on the Death floor, but also in room 414, which we now call The death room. Well at least it will be for the cockroaches if they descide to try to enter...

Hm... where is 4F?

The hygiene here is not exactly on a very high level. Most kids are not encouraged to wash their teeth and so they end up in the hospital... really people, you don't want to see that, so brush and brush again...


It's not much better in the internal departement. Many people have salmonela and HIV tests are common.
The hardest thing for me to get used to is not flushing toilet paper but putting it in waste basket. Hate that...


Ni komentarjev:

Objavite komentar